Thursday, February 28, 2008

Black Is Just a Deeper Shade Of Gray

CAUTION: PHILOSOPHICAL POST AHEAD

Is anything just black and white anymore? Is there just good and evil? Moral and Immoral? Or are there varying degrees of everything? The longer I live, the more it seems that even though I have an unmoving stance on an issue and know that I am right, someone else's stance may not wrong. Even if it is exactly the opposite of mine. And what about everyone else who have stances that fall somewhere in between? I can say I know I am right, because for me, it is right. If I did anything other than stand by my conviction, I would feel cheapened or hypocritical. I would not be able to look at myself as a good person. I will often give this one piece of advice to people if they ask me whether or not they are doing the right thing. As long as you can look at yourself in the mirror and be happy with the person staring back into you, you are probably making the right decision.

When I was younger, I used to believe that things were definite. Either right or wrong. I don't know when I changed. I have thought back and could not find any significant events that would make me change from the way I was to the way I am now. I often contemplate these things and find myself wondering if there is just black and white. Am I wrong? Should there only be one right answer? Anybody have any other ways of looking at life?

Funny that this news story got me thinking about these questions today. This isn't the first time I have thought about this and it won't be the last. But I figured it would make an interesting post for black. Throw some of you off a little.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

How do you undo what you've done? I may not believe that every issue in life is black or white, but I firmly believe you can't reclaim your virginity.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think it's a ridiculous concept. Accept responsibility for any mistakes you think you've made, and move on. If nothing else, it belittles those that truly save themselves for various reasons. I really just want to smack anyone that truly believes this is possible just because they wish it to be.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Ditto for me. Saying something is so doesn't necessarily make it true.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Goosechild said...

Absolutely. There are no redo's where virginity is concerned. And also, if women can now surgically 'renew' their physical purity, I can't wait to see what they come up with for men to be able to do the same thing. It would have to involve surgical amnesia or something similarly ridiculous.

Care to chime in, Larry? lol

5:24 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

I just forget about past indecretions, so I am emotionally and physically pure every time I have sex. Which is exactly how often? I seem to have forgotten. Oh well, guess that means I'm a virgin.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home