Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A Drag Show In Philosophy Class

Last term I challenged myself by taking an advanced concepts in accounting course, a statistics course and a marketing course (my one easy class). This term should be exactly the opposite. I am taking an 1100 level philosophy course, a 1000 level topics in music course (\m/ History of Rock and Roll \m/), and a 3000 level business course (my one hard class?).

Last night I had my first philosophy course. The professor was really fun. He was upbeat and kept the class involved all the way until the very end. I am not much of a philosopher. Ask me what something is, I will give you a straight answer. If you want proof, I will try to give you physical evidence. Philosophy is going to challenge my way of thinking.

One of the questions that the instructor posed to us during class was:

WHAT IS A TABLE?

We all put in our two cents. The teacher called our answers "sincere" and "definite", as we described a table. Then, defined a table. Then, said something to the effect of, a table is whatever our society marks a table. All of these answers were "good" answers, but, not what he was looking for.

At one point during the discussion, he flipped a trash can over and said, "Is this a table?"

We all answered in the affirmative and stated our points. At which point the prof said, "No man, that table's not a table. It's a trashcan in drag."

I think I am going to enjoy the class even if I don't truly appreciate the material we will be covering and discussing.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

I think I would enjoy any class in which the phrase "It's a trashcan in drag" is used. :)

1:06 PM  
Blogger Dirty Gypsy said...

I think a philosophy course might be more than I can bear. That would make me want to smack someone. (I know, I know...that's no different from normal.)

However, if you want help with your History of Rock n Roll homework, you know where to find me.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I don't think I will ever forget my philosophy class I took. I took ethics too... that is the only time I have ever thrown a book across a room. Fun times. :)

9:15 PM  
Blogger Callie said...

You're back!

Gonna have to put your link back up to the group that posts!

Glad to see you again!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Goosechild said...

Is your prof a hippie? That seems to be a general prerequisite to teach a philosophy class.

I took a class called Secret History of the 20th Century my last summer at Southwestern, and a big chunk of that 3-week long intensive-style class was spent discussing the albums Anarchy in the UK and God Save the Queen by the Sex Pistols.

My prof was awesome, and made taking the class in the middle of summer not so awful. So have fun with it. :)

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home