Thursday, March 20, 2008

It's My Right

But who is right? I read this story this morning. At the risk of sounding harsh, WHAT THE FUCK, PEOPLE!? I don't consider myself to be bigoted, racist, sexist or any other 'ist. I don't begrudge the influx of Hispanics and Asians mentioned in the article anything they want. They are here and most of them are working harder and getting paid less than most Americans. But, they are in America. I would not expect to get great service in a Spanish speaking country or any Asian nation since I don't speak their language. We speak English. Those of us who don't should learn how. If I lived in a country that didn't as a rule speak English, I would expect that I would have to learn, say, Spanish or possibly Chinese, in order to better communicate with the native population.

Since when is it not buyer beware? Don't all private businesses reserve the right to refuse service? The owners of Geno's aren't even saying they would not serve you if you can't speak English. They are just asking that you order in our national language. And underneath that they are stating as businesses have done since before I was born, that they reserve the right to refuse service.

Seriously folks, having lived in that area, I can tell you that the "Commission on Human Relations" in Philly has a lot bigger problems than a language barrier at a cheese steak joint to contend with. That whole place is a mess of violence and corruption.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It may come off more harsh than necessary, but I agree that they do have a right to post the sign.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Callie said...

I agree with it, too. If you're going to emigrate, you must learn the language of your new country.

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home