Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

No this post is not about Coleridge's poem:

It is an ancyent Marinere,
And he stoppeth one of three:
"By thy long grey beard and thy glittering eye
"Now wherefore stoppest me?

The bridegroom's doors are open'd wide
"And I am next of kin;
"The Guests are met, the Feast is set,--
"May'st hear the merry din.

But still he holds the wedding-guest--
There was a Ship, quoth he--
"Nay, if thou'st got a laughsome tale,
"Marinere! come with me."

He holds him with his skinny hand,
Quoth he, there was a Ship--
"Now get thee hence, thou grey-beard Loon!
"Or my Staff shall make thee skip.

He holds him with his glittering eye--
The wedding guest stood still
And listens like a three year's child;
The Marinere hath his will...

Nor is this about the song "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner" by Iron Maiden. Although that is where the title of this post came from. Because nothing of consequence has happened in the last few days and I felt like posting. I like these memes that require a bit of randomness in an otherwise random world. I got this over at Scaramouche Jones' place. Be prepared for a bit of Dave Matthews as about a third of the music on my windows media player is DMB, or Dave and Tim, or Dave and friends, or just plain Dave.

Instructions: Use your mp3 player set to random to answer the questions with random song titles.

What does next year have in store for me? "You Never Know" Dave Matthews Band (pretty appropriate way to start. "Funny when you're small/How the moon follows the car/There's no one that you see/Hey, the moon is chasing me")

What does my love life look like? "Grey Cell Green" Ned's Atomic Dust Bin (hmmm, I guess desire is inside me)

What do I say when life gets hard? "Laid" James (yeah, it doesn't make much sense to me either)

What do I think of when I get up in the morning? "Falling Off The Roof" Dave Matthews Band (It must have been a bad dream)

What song will I dance to at my wedding? "Better Off Dead" Bill Withers (I'm such a romantic)

What do I want to do for my career? "We Didn't Start The Fire" Billy Joel (So, I guess I can rule out arsonist...)

Favorite saying? "Good Morning, Good Morning" Dave Matthews covering John Lennon (I do say "good morning" an awful lot)

Favorite place? "Televators" Mars Volta (I love frightening places)

What do I think of my parents? "Play Crack The Sky" Brand New (What?)

Where would I go on a first date? "My Sundown" Jimmy Eat World (I have watched the sunset over both continental divides, in my rear view mirror, over the Pacific several places, in the mountains, from the middle of nowhere, and over the skylines of cities like New York, Chicago, L.A. and San Francisco. It never gets old, but I don't think I have ever shared a beautiful sunset with someone special. If I ever do it on a first date, that woman might just be a keeper.)

Drug of choice? "The View" Modest Mouse ("my mouth runs on too...")

How do I describe myself? "Hope She'll Be Happier" Bill Withers (Now that is just plain depressing, I'm gonna try again) "Wonder" Natalie Merchant (that's better)

What is the thing I like doing most? "My Descent Into Madness" Eels (My life in a nutshell)

The song that best describes the president/prime minister? "Rushing" Moby (rushing legislation through at the end of his last term, hope it doesn't work)

What is my state of mind like at the moment? "Pepper" Butthole Surfers (did you know that the lead singer's dad was a famous children's show host, kinda like Mr. Rogers, only he was local to Dallas, TX?)

How will I die? "Let You Down" Dave Matthews Band (wow, just for letting you down? you're hardcore.)

Song they'll play at my funeral? "Seven Minutes In Heaven" Fallout Boy (I got nothing)

What song will I put as the subject? "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner" Iron Maiden (Ohhh, good title, fate was kind with this one)

4/18 songs from Dave, about 50% less Dave than I would have predicted. Not bad considering...

5 Comments:

Blogger Tracie said...

"(did you know that the lead singer's dad was a famous children's show host, kinda like Mr. Rogers, only he was local to Dallas, TX?)"

Yep! His name was Mr. Peppermint. Course, the only reason I know that is because Preston has this ability to connect anything to Texas. It's kind of like the Kevin Bacon game...but not. Any way, ask Preston sometime...he has a funny story about Mr. Peppermint.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

I know that because of Preston, I think. Either him or Lindsay. But, as you pointed out, he can connect anything to Texas. It sounds like a Preston fact.

11:04 AM  
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

LOL
This seems very fun
but I have to run
... to work

9:11 PM  
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

Dear Larry,

Thanks for Your lovely poem in my comments

<3 <3 <3

9:12 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

I do like these memes, they can be a bit of entertainment during a dull day. As for the poem, ideas are transient things. I wrote it a few months ago and it had not seen the light of day. I figured it went well with your post.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home