Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Wedding Speech

This weekend I have the honor of being one of my friend's best man. I have been wrestling with the speech for a few months. Over the last week of so I have come up with an outline. I just need some opinions before I give this speech, other than the one from his future bride who said, "Just remember his grandma is going to be there." I think she has a bad opinion of my form of tact. That, I guess comes from knowing me for a while. I know there is a time and place...

Anyway, here is my outline so far, let me know what you think.

Introduction
-"In the relatively short time we have known each other, John and I have been through quite a bit..."
-Touch on Yeti in a van. (first time I met him, it was to borrow his work vehicle on a trip to St. Louis when I was living in Philly. Seriously folks, it smelled like I would imagine a yeti smell if they truly exist)
-Touch on next seeing him in Philly. (after the trip home and borrowing his van, the next time I saw him was when he had to come up to Philly to work. I let him into my personal circle and took him out to dinner at one of my favorite places for a true Philly Cheesesteak. I love Pudge's.)
-Touch on Inverted Nipple. (he has one nipple that never comes out to play. I only know this because we spent so much time on work road trips together. I am one of a very, very select few who knows this about him, until I give the speech, of course.)
-Helping me through a tough time @ Hooters in Biloxi, MS
-Our waitress never left the table despite John's best attempts at being "John".
-Before you Charity, John was very much a loner.(seriously, I am one of his best friends. before me it was mainly just his family that he would keep in touch with or care to talk to. I don't know how I managed to get to him. He is a great guy, but a lot of people would write him off because he is very closed off for a while.)

Coconut
-Hard Hairy Outer Shell. (This is a reference to him being so hard to get through to. Also has double meaning. He is a hairy Italian man. I crack myself up.)
-Soft Milky Center. (Once you get through that hard hairy outer shell you get to the good stuff. One of the coolest people I know. He is funny, and very sincere, once you finally do get to that part.)

Poem
-Only Partially Written. (The poem may or may not be part of the speech. I won't throw something at them that is not good by my standards and I have only come up with 2 lines so far. It's less than a week away. We'll see if I can get it done.)

Toast

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I smell disaster. I only wish I could be there to see it...

8:22 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You want help? My only advice to you would be to remember that you have a tendency to ramble, so be sure to cut your speech down a bit. That's all I think I can say. I don't know John at all, and I don't know how his wife will handle these stories that you are going to be telling...

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home