Thursday, May 26, 2005

What Did You Say?

Yesterday I went to the bank to deposit a few checks. When I walked up to the teller to ask for a deposit slip she tried to answer, yawning the whole time. Then she tried to answer again, again yawning all the while. She realized how futile it was and just handed me the slip.

I had three checks to deposit and there were only two lines for checks on the slip. I asked her what I should do. You guessed it, she yawned through her explaination. I mentioned in a joking fashion that it was starting to get rediculous. To which she replied by nodding her head in the affirmative and...YAWNING.

Now, I would not have posted about this, but, today I was conversing on the phone with one of my friends(yes I actually have a few) and as he was saying something to me. He yawned through it. The worst part was that, after yesterday, I think I am learning how to speak yawn(no comments accepted on this point by the Steph), because, I actually understood him.

This reminded me of an incident way back in 8th grade history class. My instructor, Mr. F, was very fun and would always toy with us students. One day we were having a discussion on yawning and how it is contagious. Well, one girl in class made a huge deal about how she was immune to the infectious yawn. For the rest of the day Mr. F made it a point to yawn every so often, trying to get this girl to yawn. Finally, toward the end of the hour, Mr. F was walking around while we were taking a quiz. He stopped several seats behind this young lady and yawned. Shortly there after, the yawn took hold of the girl. Histerics insued, as Mr. F started to dance around the room yelling in a sing song manner, "I made you yawn. I made you yawn."

He collected the quizes informed us that we all got an A and let us sit around for the remainder of the class period talking.

18 Comments:

Blogger Byagi said...

It sounds like a curse to me. The Yawning Curse. Run from it.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

*yawn*

7:10 PM  
Blogger duff said...

hmmm.....a far more entertaining post than mine- probably written in half the time. you win this round, but i'll regain my title soon.

suddenly, i'm sleepy....*yawn*

7:31 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

I didn't know this was a contest. Next time I might even try. Hehe.

8:41 PM  
Blogger duff said...

it isn't- i just had a hard time thinking of something witty and provoking to say. (is say "provocative", but that steers away from what i mean.)

in short, i was trying to verbally poke you with a stick and see what would happen.

yeah- that's the ticket.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

St.Louis huh

9:09 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Yeah I have ya scared now.

9:15 PM  
Blogger duff said...

nah- i don't think i could be scared of you.

your jacked-up stereo is another matter, though.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Perhaps if you met me you might rethink your last statement.

9:29 PM  
Blogger duff said...

even then, your stereo would still scare me.

:)

9:37 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Damn it. I read the whole post without yawning, but now I've yawned twice just reading the comments.

I'm fleeing while I still can.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Blame Duff, it's her fault.

2:48 AM  
Blogger DJJD said...

Larry,
Have you ever thought people just yawn naturally around you? I know when you come over my house, I get this awful sleeplyness feeling.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

I've been fighting the yawn since I read the word "yawn" back in the first paragraph. Dammit.

9:34 AM  
Blogger duff said...

blame me? you yawned first!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Nickelplate said...

*ya-WHa-lilyoo zaayyy???-wn** ("what did you say")

7:22 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Duff, I have to blame someone since I can't take responsiblity. You just happen to be the lucky one.

5:56 PM  
Blogger duff said...

well, since you put it that way....

i am spartacus.

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home