Sunday, June 12, 2005

My Skills III

Here I sit getting more bored by the moment(on a pirated wireless signal), when, my friend the Polish Monkey calls me. He asks if I am back in town yet, because, the roller hockey team he plays for needs a d-man for their double header this afternoon. I bring this up because, as of now, just today, I am missing out on 2 roller hockey games, 1 game of broomball, and 1 games of pick up ice hockey. That doesn’t include the three pick up ice games, and broomball that I missed last weekend or the pick up roller game that I missed last Monday and will miss tomorrow, because I won’t get back into town until after it is done. I must also bring up that I missed one of my best friend’s daughter’s birthday parties yesterday.

Before I moved back to St. Louis, about 10 months ago I really didn’t have a personal life because I was always gone and could never make plans, having no schedule to speak of. Since my move and divorce I have made it pretty clear to my boss that I will have a personal life because I am tired of working just to work, I don’t really need the job and I need playtime for myself. My boss has actually been really receptive to this. He only scheduled me out of town for 2 of my league games last session and for the most part actually asks my permission before sending me on these trips. This trip he did not and stated someone else’s personal problems for sending me only a few weeks removed from another 10 day trip to Philly. Hell, he didn’t ask me if I had any personal issues. I do. I personally don’t want to spend any more time on the road. Where are the other 7 or 8 investigators on my team(only one of which-not the one with personal problems-has been out on the road more than me this year)? I asked this and was given a bullshit answer, told him it was bullshit and he promised me that I won’t be going on the road anymore if certain things happen. Yeah, I have heard all of this before, like when I moved to Philly under the assumption that I was going to be on the road no more than 3 days a month(I had a wife who had no one up there but me and in order to move I wanted to make sure she wouldn’t be too lonely. As most of you know this worked out real well). Turned out to be just about 12 days a month on average. Some months I was gone all but 3 days, but, at that point I had to make a living and couldn’t refuse work.

Sorry, I had to get that rant out of the way before I got on to the main point of this entry. My complete and total whiteness. I was reminded of this when on the same phone call that sparked the rant, my pal used the term, “Hatin.” I am at a loss using any hip hop terminology. Don’t get me wrong, I really love the stuff. My inability is a disability I was born with. One of my friends from back in the factory working days asked me one time if I was “straight”. Of course he meant cool/good/okay or any other relative word but my immediate thought and answer was, “Mecca, you know me. Of course I’m not gay.” He started laughing uncontrollably, realizing as he did at that moment just how hopeless a cause I really was. To his credit, Mecca, spent time inside and outside work trying to help me bring out any hidden ability. It just isn’t there.

I had to laugh when Todd used the term “hatin” because the day before I left on this trip, I went to the bank to deposit a check. While there, the teller working the drive-up window was being hit on by one of the customers. Turns out, after she points this out, being flattered and feeling beautiful herself, the other 3 tellers, all of which were also women, began to take her down a peg or two by saying that each of them as well as several other tellers had been hit on and/or asked out by the same man. She asked why they couldn’t let her feel pretty for just a little while. To which I responded, “You do realize you are standing amongst a group of women, who are, by nature, catty?” The teller who was helping me stated, “We’re just hatin a little.” At that point I tried to explain that if I used that phrase I would sound ridiculous. She said I would be all right. I know better, though, thanks to 2 years of constant lessons and failures with Mecca. I told her I wouldn’t embarrass either of us by even trying. I wish I could pull it off like almost everyone else I know, but, unfortunately unless they mass-produce and sell a product that can help facilitate these abilities I am SOL.

I’m chuckin a deuce(thanks for that term Mecca, even though, since I haven’t talked to you in about 3 1/2 years it is probably really outdated and therefore proves my point even further.).

Thank God, I now type most of my long entries in Word, because if any of you were here earlier, you saw the result of a mating of a weak wireless connection and Blogger. And for those of you who weren’t here earlier, here is some advice. If you are sitting in a car in the middle of Syracuse and you feel like posting while pirating a signal from one of the surrounding homes, don’t do it. It can only end badly.

In regards to yesterdays post, I think Seal’s “Love’s Divine” and George Benson’s “Turn Your Love Around” are the only songs in rotation on BK’s radio station. I have been in there 5 times over the last 2 day and heard Seal twice and GB 3 times.

2 Comments:

Blogger Larry said...

Sometimes I feel so alone in my inability to use this modern language. It is nice to know there are more of us out there.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

1980: I am an private investigator. And I learned very early not to use the phrases I was not sure of. Hell, even though I knew what chuckin a deuce meant i still double checked just in case it had changed and was now a bad thing or somehow related to my previous post.

You are linked also.

3:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home