Friday, December 16, 2005

DAY 5 Wednesday, December 7: I Don’t Even Want to Know What You Just Paid For Dinner

On Wednesday, I got to sleep in before my afternoon case. On my first day in my favorite city, I had to drive a few miles south and sit at the top of one of the huge hills in San Mateo county. It was a great view and the only productive day of my trip. I left my case in the evening and went back to my friend’s apartment.

Upon my return, M informed me we would be heading out to one of the top restaurants in the country, named Jardiniere. So, I got cleaned up and dressed in the proper attire and we headed out. After walking the three blocks to the restaurant, we were seated on the second floor, overlooking the bar(I have never seen worse plastic surgery, than the job I saw done on one woman's face, who was seated at the bar.). We decided on the chef’s taster menu, which read like this:



Plate#1-Santa Barbara Prawns with Fuji Apple and Chestnut Salad, Apple Vichyssoise

Plate#2-Washington State Steelhead with Chive Crushed Potatoes, Meyer Lemon and Oyster Veloute, Tsar Nicoulai Caviar

Plate#3-Sonoma Sqaub with Creamed Nettles and Caramelized Salsify, Sauce au Poivre

Plate#4-Loin of Venison with Bacon Roasted Brussel Sprouts and Celery Root, Huckleberry Jus(at this point, I have to give a shout out to my little brother Brad, who made a much better Loin of Venison than a 5 star restaurant. And, this one was very good.)

Plate#5-Robiollo Misto Cow, Sheep and Goat's Milk Cheese, Piedmont, Italy

Plate#6-Five Spice Layer Cake with Maple Meringue, Brown Butter Creme Anglaise, Candied Pecans


All of the dishes involved items that I had never tasted, and M and I caught up, as we rarely talk on the phone for very long and I have not seen him in at least 3 years. After dinner we walked the few blocks back to his apartment and on the way passed City Hall, the Symphony Hall, and several other landmarks that fall into those few blocks.


You can see the dome from M's balcony. That is real 23.5 gold inlaid on the dome.

When we got back home it was about time to crash as he, his sister and I all had early days the next morning.

12 Comments:

Blogger Kay Ray said...

I love beef, don't get me wrong.. but if it said on the menu "cow" I couldn't order it.. I would picture Elsie the cow laying on the table going MOOOOOOOOOOO

11:30 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

It's funny how we can't eat something if it's named what it is. Except fowl. Then it's okay. But to call a hamburger ground up cow is just a bit too much for my delicate stomach. :o)

I'm so glad that you had a good time on your trip! Hooray!

1:13 PM  
Blogger tiffkindred said...

Just wanted to wish you Happy Holidays! ox...t

9:57 PM  
Blogger Nickelplate said...

Thanks, Lar. I'm glad you liked my venison. I made the recipe myself.
Glad you enjoyed your time.

7:53 AM  
Blogger D said...

larry,
did you get abducted by aliens again? did you get an anal probe?

9:14 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

I think he liked the anal probe. Is probably sitting outside the mothership waiting to be let in again for one more go.

:oP

12:20 PM  
Blogger Callie said...

Larry? Laaaarryyyyyyyyyy?!!!

*crickets sound in the background*

2:58 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

*looks around Larry's place*

Hey, Callie, if he doesn't come back, d'you think I could have his TV?

6:51 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

Larry's been sighted! Check out my blog for the pictures!

(heh heh)

7:48 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

Sorry, y'all, I have been pretty busy and havent had much time to get online. I hope to be back on again soon. However, I am leaving for a ski trip on friday and wont be back for about a week and a half so if I dont get a chance to post before then I probably wont post for a few more weeks. Hope everyone had a good few holidays and are having a good start to the new year.

2:08 PM  
Blogger tiffkindred said...

miss u.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Kay Ray said...

I'm feeling neglected :(

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home