Sunday, April 09, 2006

Here's Sewage In Your Eye

Last night I got to a call at the really nice, older lady's house. I had been out there the night before and had to move her toilet. It wasn't seated properly to begin with and I had to move it to get access to her line, to do some work. When I was finished, she had said something about having to call the guy who installed the toilet to redo some work. I thought she was going to have him re-seat it.

Fast forward to yesterday. We had to reschedule her line for a different procedure and sent someone else out in the morning to do it. When the line opened up, it managed to close up a smaller line. So, when I got out to the house to re-seat the toilet, they showed me this floor drain that had backed up. After trying to plunge it for her, so I wouldn't have to charge her, it would not open. I had to bill her for another line(let me tell you, this was a sweet old lady, with limited means and the last thing I wanted to do was charge her for this line. But, I had two more calls waiting and my boss was on me to get this toilet reset and get out of there. So in order to get this line open it was going to take at least a half an hour of work and I didn't have time to do it for her as a courtesy). While I was cabling this line, circumstances caused the drain to spit a bit of water out. She had been dumping her laundry water in this drain, not to mention the other unmentionable crap(literally and figuratively) that was in there from the first back up that we had eliminated. Well, to make a long story end, since I can't make it short. I got splattered in the eye. I wear my glasses on the job for just this reason but that one drop was not going to be inconvenienced by a simple pair of glasses. Let me tell you, laundry soap and other dissolved muck sting like a sonuvabitch!

Thank God, one of the first things I learned about this job was to keep your mouth shut while you work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home