Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Celebrity Gossip

I find myself reading celebrity gossip at work, on lunch. Not because I care. Because, I don't. Not because it's interesting. Because, for the most part, it's the same people doing the same things over and over. It's because I'm bored and have already read all of the stories that interest me. So I go for the time filling garbage.

Since I'm a sports fanatic, hockey being my biggest passion. And, NHL free agency gets about as much press as the new Barney tour. I finish the few short blurbs about who signed where each day in a few moments. Then I move on to that huge celeb drama that is A-Rod and Madonna. Today one of Fox Sports' columnists wrote this little cutting piece about A-Rod.

I swear to God, Mark Kriegel must be a huge egomaniac to believe that he knows thought one about what's going through A-Rod's head. Don't get me wrong here. I'm am not a fan of Alex Rodriguez. I hate the Yankees (worse than I hate the Cubs, and from a Cardinals fan, that is something). And, with the money and publicity that Rodriguez generates and/or brings home, he should know that every little thing he does is going to get huge coverage. That being said, holy shit, Mr. Kriegel, what do you expect? The guy has been the next coming since high school. Everyone and their mother had him in Cooperstown before he saw his first big league pitch. He's only 33 years old and this is arguably the first big hardship he is going to have to face, as an adult.

Shit, this guy is the poster child for "not knowing who he is". Outside of baseball what has there been in his life. So, good work dectective Kriegel, you win the "Captain Obvious" prize. But, who are you to judge A-Rod!? Write another book about what someone else has done with their lives instead of living yours, asshole. Seriously, I got married at 20 and divorced at 27. I had no idea who I was until I went through my divorce and was forced to figure it out. I had never in my adult life been alone long enough to figure it out. It seems to me, that is the case with Rodriguez. I doubt he will truly know who he is until after his baseball career is over and life slows down for him enough to figure it out. Until then, this will hopefully help him figure out a little bit more, what he needs or wants out of life. Who knows? I sure don't. I'm just guessing. Maybe, he already knows and maybe he never will.

The point is, why glorify people like Jeter, who is "making his way through Maxim's Top 100" and vilify the guy standing to his right on the field for screwing up his marriage by doing, arguably, about the same thing. Neither one is really that great of a role model, unless you really think that moving from woman to woman to woman is a noble pursuit. I really don't. Although, there are plenty of worse things that someone could do. And, honestly both of them are just trying to find what makes them happy.

So, Kriegel, who cares that Madonna is past her prime and Jeter has had some younger talent. I'd be willing to bet my next meager check that you've jerked off to most of the women either one has brought home. Don't be bitter cuz you can only write about it.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

Bravo.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home