Wednesday, July 20, 2005

The Best Practical Joke Ever(Or Not)

Tonight I attended one of best friend's grandfather's visitation. Afterwards, some of us went out for dinner at the local TGI Fridays. Joe(the friend mentioned above) was there with his wife and 2 small children. His brother was there with his wife, daughter and mother-in-law. His sister was there. His aunt and uncle were there. And, the Steph and I completed the guest list for dinner.

After a while Joe had to take his infant son to the bathroom to change his diaper(the kid's diaper, not Joe's. Joe is getting better about holding it, so he doesn't have to change his nearly as often. Yes, Joe, that is an old age=incontenence reference, I couldn't resist.) After, he came back to the table and we had been talking for a few moments, his aunt looked at him and asked, "Where's the baby?" without skipping a beat, he exclaimed, "Oh my God! I left him in the bathroom!", got up and ran for the bathroom. As soon as Joe's wife took a mental count of who was at the table she also bolted for the bathroom area. Myself and Joe's sister were laughing for a minute until we realized what he had done. At this point Joe's brother is asking what has happened. I wish I had a camera while watching him say, "HE WHAT!!" Priceless. After several moments, Joe and his wife had not returned, so his aunt got up to investigate, fearing the worst.

She came back to the table to explain to us that another of Joe's aunt and uncle as well as a few cousins and their significant others were seated at a table by the restroom and had the boy the whole time. Thank God Joe's wife likes a good practical joke. After everything settled down, his brother nicknamed Joe's wife Jackie Joyner Kathy, for her speedy departure and Joe's sister admitted to being the worst aunt ever for not noticing the boy was gone and then laughing before realizing the severity of the situation.

Knowing Joe, I was surprised he actually pulled it off without giving it away by laughing his ass off before he got out of sight. And I was sure Kathy was going to kill him. I wish you all could have been there, because, I know my writing skills are not doing this story any justice and it is one of the funniest things I have been witness to in a long time.

18 Comments:

Blogger Ren said...

That was cruel! But funny. Speaking of funny, Larry, I have something for you on the hypergraphic blogspot that you'll like, or love (who knows?). It's in the "Honorable Mentions" post... Hope you like.

11:26 PM  
Blogger jazz said...

i laughed.

4:52 AM  
Blogger Captain Icehole said...

One of my favorite parts of the story that did not make it in the recap here was that my sister, Meghan, rode with us to the visitation and was TERRIFIED about riding riding back with us thinking Kathy was going to kick my ass!! She told the Steph, "Oh my God, I have to ride back with them." Steph replied, " That's alright. I'll give you a ride home." Meghan then responds, "My car is at their house. It will be too obvious!!"

God love Kathy for being able to take a good practical joke!!

5:17 AM  
Blogger Danikabur said...

That is freakin hilarious!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Penny said...

Oh
My
God.

I would have totally freaked out after it was discovered it was a practical joke.

Not angry, but I would have been an adrenalized weeping mess.

VERY funny, though - and just what you need to cheer everyone up after a visitation.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

LB, yes very cruel and very funny at the same time. BTW you have me pegged, loved your honorable mentions.

Jazz, I was laughing so hard I was almost crying. Especially when Joe's brother started taking the situation and putting his spin on it. Again, i wish I would have brought in my videocamera.

MD, thank god Kathy can take a joke. The proof is in the pudding. She married Joe. :)

Joe, I was really tired and knew I missed something I just couldn't remember what.

Dani, I agree wholeheartedly.

P-Shag, I would hate to see you as "an adrenalized weeping mess" but the imagery is making me laugh right now. Sometimes, having a visual mind is a blessing.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Dirty Gypsy said...

I told Joe last night that I if he had done that to me, I would have laughed, too...right after I punched him in the face. That was a cruel (yet hilarious) joke to play. I still can't believe he did that. He pulled it off spectacularly - we were all fooled...

10:59 AM  
Blogger Callie said...

I'm with Penny - I would have had the whole 'after the fact' emotional breakdown.

But DAMN that was funny!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Like all the best practical jokes, this one was really mean. I laughed, but I doubt Girlfriend would've let me live after something like this.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Danikabur said...

I would have reacted by punching him first then laughing too. Same with the after emotion. Would definitely have cried.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Dirty Gypsy said...

Oh, and Joe's aunt totally flipped him off when she saw that the baby was fine. That was funny. I love Joe's aunt... :)

2:33 PM  
Blogger -G.D. said...

Evil and funny...good combo.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Erika said...

seriously not sure where to side, laughing and crying right now.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

Steph: I'm with you. I'd do the exact same thing...and then withhold sex for at least a week!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

All these crying women, one evil/funny one, and one violent one. I haven't quite figured out where to rank Digi in the women catagories but I am sure there is a place.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Dirty Gypsy said...

Digi can be the "masculine lesbian" one.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

haha.. flamer.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

Butch.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home