Monday, October 17, 2005

Another Week Gone By

Hi all. I know I have been posting rather infrequently lately. But, I have worked a lot and have very little other material. Last week, I managed to work every day, most of them, into the evening. Those of you that read the Steph's blog already know that I attended the NIN/Queens of the Stoneage show with her. Those were the tickets I won when I was entered into the Vegas drawing. I had given the tics to Steph because she is a huge fam of Queens and I am only a casual observer of either band. I am glad her friend canceled on her and I got to go. I was really impressed by NIN, and although, Queens sounded like they could play, I don't think the venue was really all that flattering for their sound. I think they would be better outside.

I was sent an email about a trip to San Fran for work, however, it was scooped up almost immediately by a higher seniority guy. Damn, I love that city.

Does anyone else hear that? It sounds like burnt waffles.

Sometimes I wish I would say stupid things when no one else was around. At least then, I wouldn't have to worry about them getting out to the masses. But, then again, if I was only saying them to myself, I would either be very lonely or crazy. However, with as easily as I amuse myself, they would probably still be as funny.

Last night I attended a Missouri River Otters(very fearsome creatures) preseason hockey game at the little rink in the mall. They normally play at a large local arena but for some reason, had this game scheduled for the little practice rink. Being as avid a hockey fan as I am, I had never attended one of their games. I love playing hockey, watching hockey, skating, and even standing in the rink just to smell the ice(for those of you that don't know, yes, it does have a smell), but in all the years that we had a cheap alternative to the Blues, including last year, I never attended a game. After seeing that game last night, I will be attending as many as I can get to this year. That is how hockey is supposed to be played. Of course the skill level, was not as high as the other leagues(4 of the Blues did play for them last year during the lockout, so it is no slouch league), but, damn those guys can play and the passion and disreguard for their bodies that they show is awesome. I saw more hip checks thrown in that preseason game than I have seen thrown in a full NHL season and I couldn't count the fights on one hand. I love the NHL(who seem to be outlawing most contact), but it is nice to see some good, rough hockey is still being played. The Otters' home opener is only 4 days away. If I am in town, I think I will attend.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ren said...

Passion and disreguard for their bodies. Yep. Sounds like a Mexican Soap Opera set in a Guadalajara High School to me... :p

10:16 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

I've never seen a Blues game either. I hear I'm missing something....

7:51 AM  
Blogger Dirty Gypsy said...

LNF: You should really try and make a weekend of it - a Blues game one night, River Otters the next -- then you'll REALLY notice the difference!

I can't believe all this time's gone by and Joe & Kathy and I have never lured you to a River Otters game, Larry! I mean, I know you were gone a lot, blah, blah, blah, but man! That's sad, actually. You have to do the "Chuck-A-Puck" if you DO attend a game. It's the most fun you can have for a dollar. *AHEM* I still remember the time I tried to "sidearm" one onto the ice, and damn-near took Roy's head off. It was hilarious.

12:42 PM  
Blogger D said...

travel?!? I can fit into most suitcases and I'll carry your beer....i mean alcoholic beverage for ya.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Mossy Stone said...

Chuck-a-Puck?

9:50 AM  
Blogger Dirty Gypsy said...

Mossy: They're foam pucks that you buy for a dollar, and in between the first and second period, you get to throw them from your seat onto the ice (they lay out various tarps for various prizes) and try to win stuff. When you buy the pucks, they give you a slip with your number, and then the pucks have the corresponding numbers written on them. Most of the pucks don't land on anything, but the fun is in trying to hit the poor guys on the ice that are trying to sweep them up...

3:34 PM  
Blogger Kal said...

That's why I prefer AAA baseball to the majors.

Plus the fact that I can actually afford AAA games...

4:15 AM  
Blogger Captain Icehole said...

I *LOVE* the chuck-a-puck! Especially with Steph and Kathy. I am actually worried standing to the side of them!!

Also, Larry, I too love the smell of the ice. That is the best thing about coming in at 6am. No b.o., just ice.

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home