Friday, September 09, 2005

Farewell: Part 1

Don't worry, I'm not leavin y'all. I went to see a Cardinals game last night at the soon to be detonated Busch Stadium. When I went I thought it was going to be my last chance to see a game at the stadium before it is torn down to make room for the new one(also Busch Stadium-Here in St. Louis, we are very original). I don't know why they are tearing down a perfectly good stadium(I know they can make more profit from a new one). I mean, when they imploded the old arena it was time for it to go. It felt like the place was going to fall down when the horn sounded after a goal. Busch is still in good shape, comparatively.

When I was growing up we used to attend several baseball games a year. My mom would pack the Cracker Jacks(see, I told you we were original) and my step-dad would bring a large bag of peanuts(another example). We would all pile into the big brown van and head out to the Stadium. Sometimes, we were accompanied on these excursions by various members of our extended family(mostly my aunt and uncle and three cousins). We would get there and buy our sodas(beer for adults, but, this is my memory and I had soda-still do, in fact) in the souvenir cups and find our seats. I liked sitting in the bleachers, which, occasionally we did.

Once the game started, each kid would get a box of Cracker Jacks. We would always compare prizes(for some reason, I never got the good ones) and watch the game off and on. I remember that my soda always got watered down from the melting ice and flat from being sloshed around so much, but, I never cared cuz, we got those cool cups. My step-dad would give us some peanuts. For me, he would have to crack the shells, cuz, I couldn't do it without biting them and didn't want to do that most of the time. I loved cheering when the organ played, and yelling "CHARGE" or "LET'S GO CARDINALS" as the situation dictated, and standing during the wave.

Last night I got to the ball park, camera in hand, bought a souvenir cup soda(I hate beer, and I drove), bought a bratwurst(Cracker Jacks just don't have the same appeal for me anymore and my step-dad was not there to crack open peanuts if I bought them), and went to find my seat. The ballpark seemed smaller than I remembered it as a kid(I have only been to 3 games over the past 10-11 years, before last night). It used to seem so large, I remember bringing my binoculars so I could see the players. My friend and I sat down and watched, possibly the best baseball game I have seen in person. The redbirds won 5-0 behind Chris Carpenter, who notched his 21st win(those of you who know me, know how cool that was for me), Albert Pujols hit two homers and I witnessed a kid named Gall hit his first Major League homerun as well. The pitching for both teams was spectacular until the Mets brought in a reliever and the Cards took over. The only thing missing besides my innocence, was the wave. No one does the wave anymore. I soaked it all up, expecting it to be my last game, before the new stadium is put into service next season. However, today, the Steph called me. Her friend has a few extra tickets for the game Monday evening and I am invited. So, I will take some more pictures on Monday(they will be better than the ones I took last night) and post a final farewell to one of my fondest childhood memories next week.

I forgot how much I loved that place. I miss being too small to crack open peanuts.

19 Comments:

Blogger Nickelplate said...

Awww. I only went there once, but it was cool. I don't guess I'll be seeing you tomorrow?

6:11 PM  
Blogger D said...

my sister refuses to see the o's when she comes to town because of memorial stadium being torn down. I do have to admit, camden yards is a very, very nice stadium.

why do you hate beer? you human?

7:36 PM  
Blogger Pumpkin Nutz said...

Camdem yard? What the hell?

Anyway. Larry i agree with you in the wave. I havent been to a game in a couple years. But I remember the wave was always one of the best parts. And tha bush was pretty much round the wave could go all the way around the top. But like you said. It wont happen anymore. sniff... sniff... I hope the new stadium will bring memories to the new generations of kids!

7:50 PM  
Blogger Captain Icehole said...

Larry, I too have taken many trips down memory lane in going to the games this year. I must say that I am looking forward to the new stadium for the better sightlines. Since it will not be "multipurpose", all seats should have better sightlines. That is really the only reason though.

I will definitely shed a tear upon implosion as think of my Dad taking me to the games and teaching me how to keep score, the highschool football games we had there, the football Cardinals games that I wore my Cowboys jerseys and hats to and the 1982 World Series game (Game 2) that Dad and Brad camped out for to get tickets.

Farwell Busch...

7:53 PM  
Blogger Captain Icehole said...

P.S. I have been to about 6 games this year and they have done the wave in half of them at least. Stupid wave!!

7:56 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Brado, you only miss out if you are a Cards fan.

Ltlme, I agree, Camden Yards is a beautiful ballpark, I was there once when I followed a claiment to fan appreciation day.

Nutz, the new generation will enjoy it. I'm sure I will, too(especially if it is as nice as the new one Philly just got). But, that doesn't mean I can't pine for "the good old days, when baseball was pure".

Joe, see above. I have never been to a playoff game for any sport unless I was playing in it. Maybe we can change that this year and next week wont be my last game after all.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Ren said...

All good things must come to an end... And new things will come to be good, in time.

9:02 PM  
Blogger duff said...

sibling's right- i refuse to see the orioles in baltimore.

i saw them at memorial stadium multiple times when i was younger, and, like the house i grew up in in baltimore and the power plant downtown, a visit these days would screw up my old memories.

i was far from thrilled when they tore memorial stadium down. (we'll leave it at that, before this becomes a rant on the world of sports.)

and, quite frankly, i'm not a fan of beer either.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

I love baseball.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Callie said...

What a wonderful post! And I love the picture of the stadium. It looks gorgeous.

I'm not a huge fan of baseball, but I do like catching a game every once in awhile. It's sort of like a recharge for the soul, or something. Sounds silly, but there ya go!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

I love Busch Stadium just as it is. I also have fond childhood memories of the stadium, as well as some rather funny teenage memories as well. I'm sad that I wasn't living in St. Louis this summer. I didn't get to sit in the bleachers, my eyes watering from squinting in the bright sunshine and my cup sweating little puddles on the metal seat next to me. I didn't get to attempt the wave or yell "CHARGE." Instead, I was able to watch (every once in a while) the games on TV. And remember, fondly, what was a big piece of my summer.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Mossy Stone said...

It could be worse, Larry. You could be in Montreal, and still paying off the Big O, or you could be in Toronto wondering why a $300M+ stadium was sold for $25M.

Things age and things change and there ain't much we can do about it.

Duff: I know lots of folks in Baltimore who share your love of Memorial Stadium and miss it terribly.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Kay Ray said...

That is a very nastalgic story.. Rock on!!!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Alex said...

Hey it sounds like you have some nice memories of the place! At least you'll have those. I always wanted the fake tattoo in the cracker jacks. I rarely got it.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

Larry: in the words of Max Klinger:

"Knock once if you're alive, twice if you're not alive."

4:15 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

*Knock*

I'm alive, I just hit a busy patch, yet again. I should be back on regularly for at least a few days next week. The rest of this week and the weekend are booked pretty solid, though. I miss you all and if my little efforts at skimming are any indication, I have a lot of reading to catch up on.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

Okay, hon, just wanted to make sure you were okay. I worry, you know. (It's the Mom gene coming out in me)

5:29 AM  
Blogger Danikabur said...

OMG! Larry has been abducted too!!! They made him post a comment so that everyone doesn't know he has been... but he secretly sent me a message. It says "send cash NOW or we won't leave alive"!

We must do something!! My property can't be taken so easily!!!!

11:44 AM  
Blogger D said...

larry....did the aliens come and get you too and you're now getting alien anal probes or something? We need to see a new post!!!!!!

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home