Wednesday, October 26, 2005

My Boss and Me

I don't have a schedule at my job. I find out a day or two in advance what I am doing and when I am going to have time off. I was off Sunday and Monday and did not get a chance to call into the office to check on my schedule on Monday. This is normally not a problem. My boss will call at some point and tell me what I can expect. Or, if that doesn't happen he will at least send me an e-mail with my case info and start time. Unfortunately, my boss was absent on Monday and I was unaware of this fact until Tuesday morning.

I got home Monday afternoon from about a week down in the sticks and I spent 16 hours on the road over my two days off. I went to KC to pick up my 96 Mustang and returned with it to my Dad's place(12 hrs) where it will be parked while I slowly restore it to good condition, then, had to travel the 4 hrs home on Monday.

I got home from running around after my office closed and checked my e-mail since I had not heard from my boss. I had not received any case info. At any other job, this would mean I had the day off, however, I know I am not that lucky and knew that someone had screwed up and not sent me my info. I called my boss's cell and left him a message, figuring I would cover my ass. I never received a return call, so, I set my alarm for 7am(my boss's normal start time) and figured I would find out the next morning what the deal was.

6:55 a.m. Tuesday: I was awakened by my phone ringing. A fellow investigator was calling. We were supposed to be working together about 2 hrs from my house and he was wondering where I was at. That was the start of a great last two days. I finally got ahold of my boss's boss at about 8:30 and was told my boss had been out on Monday and Tuesday and he was running our team and had sent my e-mail to a non-existent address(inspiring much confidence in his ability to run our department) and that he had a new case for me. I was to start at 11am.

I was a few miles away from my case when I received a phone call from a second manager asking for an activity update. I told him I was just arriving and he asked me why I had started so late. I told him his boss had directed me to do so. He was very puzzled by the intructions I received and told me to continue to my case but that I would probably be pulled off as soon as I arrived and sent somewhere else.

About 20 minutes later, I received a call from a third manager, telling me to go to a different case and that I would be checking in with him for the rest of the day. Then I was told that I would be working a case I had worked several times before, on Wednesday(today) but, was given no further special instruction. I worked into the evening went home and checked my reports from prior days of surveillance. I determined from these notes that I did not have to start until late morning since that was how I worked it before.

This morning I arrived at my case, figured out what I needed to know before checking in with my boss and placed the phone call to check in. I told him what he needed to know in order to update the client, including what time I arrived. My boss, returning from several days of being sick returned to a mess. I was supposed to receive instructions on the case to work it specific hours, which were much earlier than when I really started. At this point he asked why I had chosen a late start time and I had to explain to him that he had instructed me to start it that late the last time I worked the case and we had observed the claimant an that occasion.

I am thankful he has returned, because, I know where I am supposed to be tomorrow and who I am working with. I also know what time I need to start. I have not had the best working relationship with my boss as of late but, thank God he is back.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kay Ray said...

WOW that crap!!!

Hope you have a great weekend!! You sure do need one!!!

BY THE WAY: Has the word verifications gotten longer? mine is shmrmewyml... I can't type that good on my best day LOL

8:36 AM  
Blogger Danikabur said...

Sounds like a huge pain in the ass! Glad the boss is back.. also glad you updated! I was starting to worry that you'd left us.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

Thanks ladies. It wasn't hell so much as a state of confusion. 3 bosses in one day is too much for me. Especially when none of them have a clue what each other are doing. Their desks are not in cubicles, they all sit within whispering distance of each other. The amount of confusion is mindboggling.

MD and KR, my weekend should be fantastic, even though, I just found out the 2 days I was going to have off has turned into no real days, since I will be taking a statement on Sunday and on my Monday has been filled with a required case.

KR, my word verification was only five characters, 3 of which were the letter X.

Dani, I would never leave y'all, but, this time of year, there is no rest for the weary.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Ren said...

You think there would be, oh, I don't know, some sort of procedure in case the "head gets cut off" so you don't have to run around like a headless chicken.

At the lab, this basically means that I'm in control. Like the Secretary of State when President Kennedy was assasinated... "I am in control, here, at the White House."

8:58 PM  
Blogger Dirty Gypsy said...

"Um, yeah, didn't you get that memo?? We're putting cover sheets on all the TPS Reports..."

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home