Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Big Thank You...

...to any emegency reponders out there, for all that you do.

This past week has really made me appreciate what several of my friends do on a daily basis, even more. Last week, we had a man in St. Louis, set his truck on fire, and then ambush the firemen, police and paramedics that arrived on the scene. A 22 year-old fireman was killed and two officers were shot. I have read all the stories about this incident as they are posted and wanted to post something about it, but thought it would seem a bit dramatic and...I don't know...maybe, not enough.

You see, it hits me kinda close. As most of you know, I was going to be a cop. That is what I wanted to do growing up. I have a criminal justice degree. I came really, really close several times to becoming an officer. Went through the hiring process for the state police three times. Made it through the six month process twice. All the way to the final interview before they offer the job. The way I answered one question on the application is all that kept me from being a trooper. I had a few strings being pulled by some family friends that were pretty well connected. But, I was told by several troopers to be honest all the way through the process. I was and am very happy that I was not chosen. I don't think I would be happy after dealing with the stresses that can be laid upon someone in those positions. It bothered me when I was not chosen, but after a few incidents from the old P.I. gig, I know that my honesty and their standards worked to perfection.

I have several friends that are officers, paramedics, and firemen, and one that is a U.S. Marshall. And I normally don't give a second thought to what they do, because they have been doing it for years and sometimes, over time, things start to get taken for granted. But, with everything that happened last week, I started to think about it again. And, last night, one of my newest friends was involved in entering a building that was possibly hiding a gunman. His girlfriend is a really close friend of mine and contacted me while it was happening, because she was worried and just needed someone to talk to. It brought all this up, again.

So, even though this seems contrived and not nearly enough, thank you all for all you do.

2 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

It is never contrived...and it always means a lot.

My Ex is a cop and he's told me som scary, scary stories about the dangerous situations he was in while we were married.

I understand your need to acknowledge what they do and I think it's a wonderful thing. I just wish more people would do it.

My prayers and thoughts to the families of those lost in St. Louis.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Bettina said...

You are touched by something, and you say thank you- how can that be contrived? Being grateful and appreciating the wonders some people do is always a good thing.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home