Friday, July 25, 2008

Interesting Quotes, From Interesting Folks

Lately, I have found myself collecting quotes. Most are not famous quotes, song lyrics, or poetry. They are quotes I have found while reading interesting news stories online, about intersting people. It started several weeks ago when I was reading a story about Tempest Storm an 80 year-old burlesque dancer. She dated Elvis, and rubbed shoulders with a whole lot of other famous people and has lived an absolutely fascinating life. And at 80, she still dances every so often. I just tracked down a link to this story, here. Anyway I loved this quote:

"Never stop doing what you love, it makes you who you are." Tempest Storm, an 80-year-old burlesque dancer

Another quote that I found while reading something (I wish I could remember what), was a quote by Theodor Geisel, better known as Dr. Seuss. This one really hits home with me. I always tell my friends when they are bothered or upset about something that someone else has said to/about them, "Don't worry about what they say unless they really matter to you. Everyone who doesn't matter is just background noise." Dr. Seuss puts it even better and I was amazed that I could think so much like such a genius. His quote:

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr Seuss

Then today, I read a story about a man named Dr. Randy Pausch. He was a college professor at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. I had never heard of him before reading the article at break this morning. However, he was an internet sensation and published author of "The Last Lecture" for a lecture he gave after finding out about his desease. He was a man who did what he loved and enjoyed life to the fullest, even after being diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. He died this morning after living with the knowledge that he would for almost two years. A quote from the story that I loved was this:

"I mean I don't know how to not have fun. I'm dying and I'm having fun. And I'm going to keep having fun every day I have left. Because there's no other way to play it." Dr. Randy Pausch(11-07 lecture at University of Viriginia)

Periodically, I will be posting more if I find them. I thought that there was really no use in collecting them if I could not share them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home