Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Fulfillment?

People need to stop chasing instant gratification and start pursuing fulfillment. Instant gratification is all well and good, but, it only lasts an instant. It seems like greed to me. How much pleasure can one attain from an instant? Even if it is the highest degree of pleasure, it is still only an instant. Fulfillment does what the word implies, it fills one up with joy and contentment for long periods of time. What fulfills you? I know I have been looking for my answer for quite some time. It took me a while to stop pursuing the fast fix. I have found things that kinda fall in between pleasure and fulfillment. They last longer than an instant but not really long enough to say that it has fulfilled me in any way. I know some people find their answers relatively early in life. And others find their answers when it is almost to late to enjoy the spoils.

Some people say having a great family or a successful career is the answer. Unfortunately, others turn to forms of vice. I know I love my family and they, along with my friends, keep me from ever being lonely. But, being single, I have noticed that I am happier than I was in my very few relationships. So, really, I am basing my thoughts on this on a failed marriage and my immediate family. I know that one night stands aren't my answer. I have yet to find a job that speaks to my soul. They all spoke to my bank account, some louder than others. I am fine with that. A job pays the bills and supplies me with the means to pursue my interests. As long as that is the case, I don't need my job to fulfill me. Although it would be nice. I have never really been into vice. So, where do I go from here?

I have my hobbies. But, they are like forms of instant gratification. I perform my intended task, I reap my reward, then it is over. In essence, it's like reading the side of the shampoo bottle. "Lather. Rinse. Repeat." It's fun, it's a distraction from the everyday boredom that rules us. But, when it's over, it's over. I am, by no means, unhappy, or even looking to speed up the process. I know that, once found, whatever it is that fulfills me, will be the sweetest of rewards. Until then...




Author's note: When I used spell check, there were no misspellings. Never happens.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tracie said...

Dude.

I'm so with you on this one.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Goosechild said...

Looks like somebody needs to upgrade their spell check. See the last sentence in the first paragraph. :D

Anywho, ditto for me. I'm having fun being single and selfish (I forgot how good THAT feels), and reaping all the benefits, but I can't lose my grasp of the bigger picture. There's much on my plate to take care of, so how do you stay focused? Time isn't friendly, as we're not getting any younger, but that's no way to go about life in the meantime.

So have your fun, and work hard too. That's all we can do until things 'fall into place' or whatever.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

It doesn't check grammar, if it did, do you know how many run on sentences it would find, really, it would be a lot, I don't know how to stop using commas, thank God it doesn't check for run on sentences, I'd have to correct the whole thing every time.

2:13 PM  
Blogger LadyofAvalon56 said...

The world would be a much calmer and content place if instant gratification weren't so popular.

It'd also be drug/alcohol/sexual abuse free, don't you think?

9:27 AM  
Blogger Ren said...

Balance more than fulfillment is the name of my game. I get my quick fixes here and there and now and again... Then I focus that into my career, which is a long-term fix, and then I take all that up and wrap it up in the love and friendship found in my, uh, loved ones and friends. A little bit of everything and nothing in between.

"Too much of anything is not enough."

9:12 AM  
Blogger Praying for Snow said...

It WILL be the sweetest of rewards. :)

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home