Tuesday, September 16, 2008

R.I.P. Rick Wright

Another of my favorite musicians passed away yesterday. This time it was one of the members of Pink Floyd. His long time band mate and friend, David Gilmour had this to say about him, "In the welter of arguments about who or what was Pink Floyd, Rick's enormous input was frequently forgotten. He was gentle, unassuming and private but his soulful voice and playing were vital, magical components of our most recognised Pink Floyd sound. Like Rick, I don't find it easy to express my feelings in words, but I loved him and will miss him enormously. I have never played with anyone quite like him."

As I commented on the post that informed me of his passing, Pink Floyd introduced me to music. Before them, all I knew was noise. Because of their music, my world is a beautiful, poetic place, that it may not have been, otherwise. Thank you, Roy, for making me listen to them. Thank you, Rick for adding your touch. You will be missed.

It may sound cliche, but Rick, I Wish You Were Here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow - thank goodness you don't much care for Mike Patton.

It seems your "sports jersey" curse has perhaps now transferred to music?

8:32 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

Steph, I don't think that is the case. After all, I have owned tons of concert shirts. Although, I did buy that Green Jello shirt, then they had to change their name to Green Jelly.

Wait, you might have a point. I have to get my Faith No More T-shirt before they break up and start growing pumpkins. Better yet I can pick up a Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk or Peeping Tom shirt. Do you know if they are selling shirts for A Perfect Place?

9:46 AM  
Blogger Goosechild said...

Awesome.

My dad introduced me to Pink Floyd when I was so young I can't even remember. I was lucky if I walked at that point. What sucks is I never appreciated their music until after I had left the nest, so to speak. I will say, though, that this is my favorite PF song of all time. That, and Mother.

Now, no matter what PF song plays on the radio or what plays on my CD (and I have quite a few), I crank the volume and drift into the lyrics. They mean so much after maturing a bit.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

I grew up with 3 older siblings (much older) and Pink Floyd was always playing from someone's bedroom. I knew most of the words to their songs without knowing who it was.

I love PF. I truly do. They take me to a place that no other music can (yes, even when I'm straight). I can't even describe how the music makes me feel...like coming home and branching out all at the same time.

Wish You Were Here is my favourite album, but I'm not sure I could name a favourite song.

Mossy just can't get into Floyd, so I don't get to listen to it a lot. I really do miss the music.

4:45 AM  
Blogger dimlights said...

:( RIP

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home