Sunday, August 31, 2008

Clarior Hinc Honos

Clarior Hinc Honos-"Hence the brighter honour".

That is the motto of the Clan Buchanan, which my family is somehow associated with. I'm not sure exactly how. While researching the subject online, I found that my someone with my family surname migrated to England. This occured in or around 1066 A.D. in the wave of migration that took place after the Norman conquest of England. We first made a name for ourselves in Cambridgeshire, where we held a family seat as Lords of the manor Crowhurst. As far as I can tell it was either Robert Count of Eu (who may have deeded some land to my family) or later Walter de Scotney who might have been my relative in ownership of the land (although I believe the former more likely from my reading). From there I don't know what happened. Somehow, we either married in or came under the protection of the Clan Buchanan.

I did all this research because I am going to a Scottish-Irish Highlands Festival next weekend and want to be prepared for any questions regarding my family history. I always knew I had some Irish ancestry, but only knew about the Scottish link through my baby brother's research. And, since he gave me a kilt to wear, which is of the Buchanan tartan (pattern), I figured I better at least have some clue as to why I was wearing a particular family fabric.

Although, to be completely honest, I was only going to drink and enjoy the mountains on the cheap. It was very interesting tying my family name to history. I also found some pictures of the ruins of Crowhurst Manor, the Buchanan family crest and the Buchanan tartan kilt that I will be wearing. Hope this was somewhat interesting to everyone else. Maybe I'll find someone out in Colorado that knows more on the subject than I do, or maybe I'll just drink and listen to the bands and eat the food.

Here is the ruins of Crowhurst.

Here is the pattern of my kilt.

And, the family crest/coat of arms.

2 Comments:

Blogger Goosechild said...

Funny, Aunt June schooled me on some more of our genealogy over Labor Day weekend. As it turns out, there's a lot more Irish and Scottish on my mom's side of the family than we originally thought. I'll have to get some more of the details from her.

So let me know what you learn there in your few moments of only being slightly inebriated. :P

8:18 AM  
Blogger Corey Reagle said...

Hello My Name is Corey and I live in Pittsburgh PA.he family Crest on your page is my Family Crest as well. I don't have a good picture of it as my Aunt's version has a lot of it cutoff. Is there any way you can send me a larger picture of it. reagle13@hotmail.com

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home