Monday, September 01, 2008

Never Knew, And I Worked In A Bookstore

Seriously. With as many recommendations as I received over the two years I spent in the book retail industry, I was never told to read Philip K. Dick. More specifically, A Scanner Darkly. But, no worries. My sister, The Steph, rented the movie and made me watch it. I had never heard of either incarnation. If what has held true thus far, still holds true, the book must be brilliant. The movie was fantastic. Robert Downey Jr., as always, earned his money. Woody Harrelson, Winona Ryder, Rory Cochran, and Keanu Reeves more than hold their own, too.

How do I avoid hearing about the good stuff for so long? This movie has been out for several years. The book, as long as I have been alive. For those of you who are as out of the loop as I am, watch the movie. I can't recommend the book yet, but I will be reading it when I get some time.

Watch this scene. The man that turns on the radio is Charles Freck (Rory Cochran). This was one of my favorite scenes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dirty Gypsy said...

That scene is brilliant, but I also loved the 18/9/6/8-speed bike scene and the scene when they are outside "fixing" the car.

I may try and watch it one more time before I take it back to the video store. I know there's a ton of stuff I probably missed.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Bettina said...

Wow, that looks trippy and very interesting! I will put it on my list.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Goosechild said...

UGH! That dude with all the eyeballs on his head totally grosses me out. Trippy is right!

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home