Friday, September 12, 2008

Think About It

Thinking, or more precisely, thinking for themselves, got three young women killed. While another two were shot and killed for begging for the lives of the three. How can people get away with this? "Tradition". I have known many Muslims. The ones that I know, have told me that the Qur'an actually prohibits violence except in self defense. How then, can it be that this holy book, God's word given to Mohamed, can sanctify this behavior. I guess what they say is true, "Power corrupts." Being an American, with our propensity toward violence, I know I might catch some flack for the statement I am about to make. But, I'll do it anyway. How can anyone hold life in such low regard as to kill someone for wanting to make a decision on their own. Even if tradition dictates that such an act (thinking) is not allowed.

That is their daughter/sister/niece/neighbor/"friend" that they killed. Why not say, "No, you are not allowed." Keep them locked up in the house until a suitor that they deem worthy is available to take her hand. Is subjugation so important that a few women can pay for the men's loss of power with their lives. If there is a God that not only tolerates this behavior, but encourages it, then we will all surely suffer at his hand.

I will not pit religions against one another. Although, I am a Christian, I cannot and will not tell someone they are wrong for what they believe in. Belief in something gets me through the day. However, I refuse to believe this is what Allah or Mohamed had in mind when they were having their lengthy chat. Only 20% of the world's Muslims live in the Middle East. To think that most everyone's impression of them is skewed by the ass backward way of doing things in parts of that region, is sad. I guess they don't remember "As-Salāmu `Alaykum" or "wa `Alaykum As-Salām". "Peace be upon you," "and on you be peace".

4 Comments:

Blogger Callie said...

The community where I live has the largest number of Sikh outside of India. I try to respect their religious beliefs, but some of them throw me for a loop. It's a beautiful religion/way of life. However, there is no room for outsiders. It's disturbing to my western way of thinking. However, if any changes are to be made, THEY are the ones who have to decide. They cannot have change foisted upon them.

And, people who kill in the name of religion obviously are just looking for a reason to kill.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Bettina said...

The thing is, the holy book of the Qur'an does NOT sanctify behaviour like that. You will not find a passage in it that will endorse violence and brutal killings like these. It is people who misinterpret the writing, just like many people have misinterpreted the bible as well.

What a horrible, horrible story.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Callie: "...no room for outsiders." Does this mean association with, or is this just for things like marrying in? Because, most religions prefer that you marry your own. And after being married to a Wiccan and being Christian, I can tell you that if your partner and you don't share spiritual views, it adds a large strain over time. But, yes, everyone has to decide for themselves if they want to change. However, when you are part of a group, change can be much scarier when you are doing it alone and you lose your main support system.

Bettina: That is exactly the way I was told by my Muslim friends. Most of which are Serbs. There is a very large refugee population here in St. Louis. So, yeah, perfect example of Christian intolerance and violence. I practice my religion alone so that I am the only one interpreting the Bible for me. I think that the only thing that is really important is "Do unto others..."

7:12 PM  
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

Horrible, was the wor(l)d that came on my lips, as well.

But, I don't believe in other kinds of killing, either. Not by using law-books, or territorial maps - not killing other people, at all.

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home