Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Sgt. MacKenzie

This is the piece of video I promised you. It is a song called Sgt. MacKenzie, originally composed by a Scot named Joseph Kilna MacKenzie in tribute to his great grandfather, who died protecting a fallen friend in the first World War. The video is of my new friend Brendan playing it, standing on a rock by the edge of Beirstadt Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park. I wish you all could have been there to see this in person. It was one of the most moving musical performances I think I will ever have the privilege of witnessing.

5 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

Awesome!

Bagpipes make such soul-touching haunting music..it always makes me cry.

This was no exception.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Larry,

This is why I learned to play. Moments like this motivate the sould for a lifetime. It was my honor to share the weekend with you. In reading your blog... it made me smile. Oh by the way, no need to lift the kilt. Especially when carrying a snail under there!

Alastair

6:18 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Penny: Seriously, proof of God...or Biff, if you prefer. :)

Al: Sometimes, the snail comes out of its shell and is bigger than it looks when it's hiding. :D Thanks again for inviting me.

6:40 PM  
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

Thank You for sharing!!!!!!

1:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, I finally watched it and am leaving the previously promised comment.

That was rad. I especially enjoyed watching the fog move across the water while he played. How early in the morning was this?

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home