Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sometimes Hockey Takes Me Places I Would Never Expect

Sometimes, I go out on Saturday nights. Not to the bar, club, or even dinner and a movie. I go out to play games of pickup hockey. I started doing this when I got divorced. It was a way to get out of the house and unwind (yeah, I use hockey to unwind). Now it is a way to get some exercise and connect with some friends that I have made over the past few years. A few months ago, one of these friends that I have made, told me he took a job in Miami and he would be moving down there soon. Well, he has moved. His brother still lives in St. Louis and shows up. I was talking to him last night and he made mention of needing a coach for one of the programs that he is involved in. I would be taking over for his brother. They are coaches for one of the pioneering special needs hockey programs on continent, the Gateway Locomotives. They practice once a week on Sundays and very rarely go to tournaments or play games. So,even with school and work, I can fit in a few hours a week.

I go to the rink on Sunday afternoons and evenings every week, anyway. I have games, myself. When I showed up this afternoon to get ready for my game, my friend introduced me around. I asked questions of the people that run it about time commitment and necessary coaching experience. The players all just love being out there. And that will be refreshing. Most of the time, the players that I play with and against can get somewhat tense and can tend to take things a bit too seriously. I used to referee kids games, and that was some of the most fun you can have with hockey. They all just love it. These special needs kids and adults are the same way. The powers that be, all seem really cool and laid back, too. My friend and his brother really enjoy it.

I think this will be a very rewarding experience.

Woo hoo! Another post with no spelling errors during spell check!

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome, Larry. I'm excited for you. :)

9:02 PM  
Blogger Callie said...

That is wonderful!!! Let us know how it turns out.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Penny said...

Good for you! Just shows what a wonderful person you are.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it - on a number of levels.

I'm proud of you, Larrikins.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

I have been thinking about, without pursuing, volunteering for something for the last year or so. Nothing ever caught my attention enough to think, "That will be fun, fulfilling and helpful." When my friend was talking about it Saturday night, that was what I thought to myself. I can spare an hour and a half a week. I think I will be having as much fun as the players do. We'll find out next week. I'm committed for at least 12 weeks.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home