Sunday, November 23, 2008

Busy Night

Last night I went out for my friend Lindsay's birthday. By going out with her, I missed out on a few things that I got to catch up on today. I missed the Toronto Maple Leafs retiring the jersey of Wendell Clark, whom I also disliked when Toronto was in the Blues' conference back when I started watching hockey. He was a great player with a lot of character and heart, and those opponents are the types of guys that always make it hard for your team to win against. It was moving watching the ceremony online.

But, the one I really missed was the Montreal Canadiens raising to the rafters the number of the greatest goaltender ever, Patrick Roy. I have had the privilege of watching a lot of the greats that I grew up having their numbers retired by their teams. I have even been present at the retirement of one of my very favorite player's number, Al MacInnis. But, I don't know if I have felt as moved by any other ceremony as I was when watching Roy's. Maybe it was knowing the circumstances of his departure from that storied club in 1995, or maybe it was because he was one of the first player's names that I knew when I started watching and playing, other than Brett Hull of course. But, whatever it was, if you are a hockey fan, you need to find that ceremony online and watch it. Fantastic.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bettina said...

Well, I'm glad to see you put your friend's birthday first, and sports second. That's the way to go. Especially if you can catch up with it later anyway.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Last night, I put her birthday first, if we would have ended early I would have gone to another friend's party where there were several friends that I haven't seen in months (school sucks up a lot of my personal life), and then if that would have fallen through I would have found a place to watch the ceremonies.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have a lot of good friends that keep me from being lonely. But, in order to have friends, one must be a friend to them too. It's not hard to prioritize people over sports. Like you said, I can catch up on sports via websites. I can never get time back that I could be spending with friends. I lose enough of that already.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Goosechild said...

You picked me over Roy. That is awesome, who cares if I hate that chicken-of-liberty-using buttface. Roy-WHOOOOOO!!!! :-)

Thanks for coming out. Always good to catch up, need to do it again before Christmas.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

I picked you over Wendy and James, Mandy and Molly, and Heather and Tyler (plus I'm sure there were several other regulars there that night).

Patrick Roy was one of those things I wish I could have seen live, but since I couldn't go to Montreal I figured I could watch that ceremony online later.

I wouldn't skip your birthday for a hockey event unless, somehow the Stanley Cup was being played for by the Blues in the middle of November. Then you would be SOL.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Goosechild said...

Aww, muffin. That almost made me tingly inside.

As far as the Cup, despite the wrong timing you speak of . . . why don't you revisit that concept when hell freezes over and the Blues can even whiff the Stanley Cup, no matter the time of year. :-) Love ya.

captcha = reolo, bitch!

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home