Thursday, December 04, 2008

Changing Seasons

I just got to work this morning. While engaging in my normal start of the day routine-starting my media player, checking email, browsing the interesting headlines and doing a quick once-over of my daily blog reads-I came across an article while listening to a song called "Summer Skin" by Death Cab For Cutie and watching one of my coworkers throw some ice-melt on the steps outside of my office window. It reminded me, as the weather of the past week has, that seasons change in life, like they change over the course of the year.

The title of the article was "Jobs That Make Good Cocktail Party Conversation". You see, I used to have one of those jobs. It still peeks peoples' interest when they first find out. I am now in a job that has very few remotely interesting occurrences. I just do it so that I can pay my bills, have health care benefits and pursue my educational goals. I love the fact that I am finally moving forward. I am happier than I have been in my adult life, but I sure do miss an interesting work story.

I also love the newest season. Some people use Winter as a metaphor for the ending of things. For me it is just a way to cleanse the pallet before you take the next bite of food or sip of wine. I mean, people use strawberries or sorbet to cleanse their pallets. How yummy is that? Mmmmmm. Winter is my sorbet. It is cold and sweet and delicious. It helps my body get rid of the taste of the three previous seasons and get back to center before the next series of birth, growth and decline takes place. Just as my new job and my continued education are helping me cleanse the past jobs and past life away as it helps me prepare for my future endeavors.

But, oh how I long for an interesting work story or two. It was so awesome when someone would look at me with that "I-amazed-if-you-actually-do-that-but-I-think-you-are-feeding-me-a-line-of-bullshit" look and then be completely taken with the adventure that I unfolded for them. (Except of course Steph, who is bored to tears by just about anything that comes out of my mouth.)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss the dolphins too. working as a private investigator was kinda interesting, but the dolphins really gave love back, and that's what i miss.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

You miss dolphin love? That's kinda sick considering I heard that they have prehensile penises.

Seriously, though. Tell me the true story doesn't work almost as well as the fake one and that you don't get a better quality conversation out of the real one.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Bettina said...

First of all, I love how you compare winter with a pallet cleansing sorbet. Clever. I think I feel like that too, somehow. I do tend to feel a bit like a tree that sheds the leaves and stores up energy inside, before in spring, it can grow new leaves again. Similar kind of thing, I suppose.

Secondly, it is not acceptable to tell this story without telling us what job you used to do. Honestly. We want the adventure to unfold too, you know.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

Bettina, sometimes inspiration hits. It did when the Death Cab song, the article and the ice removal was all going on at once. I was just reminded of all the changes/seasons my life. Even though most of those changes have been great, I still miss some things from my previous seasons.

I am going to ask you to "investigate" your question. Seeing as you are a journalist, I thought you might enjoy it. Obviously, the only real resource you have at your disposal is my online journal. But it should be enough. Happy hunting. :)

9:46 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

Oh, and I wasn't trying to be vague. I just forget that some of my readers haven't been with me since the beginning. Most of the people who read this have been here through a lot of the changes.

9:47 AM  
Blogger ANNA-LYS said...

A winter without snow as mine
is dark and dull
thanks for bringing some light
to my blog :-D

(( hug ))

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home