Tuesday, December 16, 2008

It's All True

I was reading an article on cities that you should live in rather than visit. I was surprised to find Philadelphia, PA on that list. Probably shouldn't have been, though. I loved it there. The funny thing about it, everything negative that you have ever heard about Philly is true. Yes, they booed Santa. Yes, they throw batteries at athletes. There is a jail and courthouse located on site at their sports complex. You might assume that the people are mean because they seem so harsh. But, in fact they are some of the nicest, straightforward people you will ever meet. They are completely different from us midwesterners, but that isn't really a bad thing.

It is a very dangerous city. But, that is only in certain parts. In other parts it has some of the most historically significant structures and items in the United States. There are some of the nicest neighborhoods I have ever laid eyes to the northeast and to the west of downtown. You just have to go far enough north and east or far enough west, otherwise you can end up in those really dangerous areas. Anywhere you look you can find buildings dating back to the revolution. The architeture is awesome. If you go east you can hit the shore in an hour or so. If you go west you can hit the plains in a few hours. North will take you into the Poconos in an hour or so, and into the Adirondaks if you go furhter. South to the nation's capital and the Virginia countryside. New York City is about an hour and a half away.

I completely understand the author's point of view about needing to live there and not just visit. There is way too much to see and do, and no way to fit it all into a trip. I doubt it could be truly appreciated any other way. I know I wouldn't have the feelings I do about the city if I hadn't stayed rather than passed through. I can't wait until February when I get to go back for a few days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home