Wednesday, November 23, 2005

The Shit I Deal With

Lately, I have really been entertaining the thought of getting a new job before January. I wanted to hold on to my insurance until then for the sake of my ski trip and then start over from there. As of today, I have worked 16 days without a day off and if it weren't for the Holiday tomorrow, I'm pretty sure I would have worked through this week without one. Since Thenksgiving is a guaranteed day off and no one in the office works on Friday, my boss was entertaining the idea of giving me Friday off, too. I had been given the both days as of yesterday and made plans accordingly. This morning I got a call from his majesty telling me I may not be off this weekend and he had no idea what days I would end up getting, but to be prepared to work.

After 3+ years of having to cancel plans, not being able to go back to school, fucking up a relationship, and generally not moving forward with my life, I really just wanted to say, "Fuck you, I quit." However, being the person that I am, I really don't like not being able to be responsible for myself. So, I made a few calls about a position that, even though it is a good job, is not something I really wanted to do. However, I am pretty much guaranteed this job if I want it and it won't be much of a pay cut(if at all) after I finish training. I set up an interview, although I won't know for sure when until this evening when I see the guy who I talked to, when this interview will take place. I am hoping Friday. One of the things that I was asked about is, if I minded dealing with shit. I told the guy I deal with shit every day. However, he was being literal, as the position is a drain tech for a plumbing company.

Good news is, this job has a schedule that will allow me to go back to school. Unfortunately, I will have no vacation time next year(except for the ski trip which is already paid for and they will probably let me have since I was up front about it). I can't wait to get the confirmation that this job is mine so I can call my boss and tell him where to shove it. I normally don't like to burn bridges but after the last couple of months, I won't ever be trying to go back to the company again anyway. I have enough good references.

Hope everyone has a great holiday(and for the Canadians, have a great weekend).

6 Comments:

Blogger Mossy Stone said...

If I can offer any advice, don't just take a job because its something guaranteed. After all, shit by any other name still smells just as bad. Bide your time and don't make unnecessary sacrifices.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Larry said...

I know it doesn't sound ideal, but, it is 5 days a week, 40 hours so I will get to go back to school and complete my bachelors degree. Finally. Plus it shouldn't be a pay cut, which is one of the things I was truly worried about.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Erika said...

congrats on the possible new job, and a very happy turkey day to you!

5:17 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

Larry, I hope that thigns work out for you. I know you're frustrated and hell, I miss you like crazy. Do what ya gotta do to get by, just don't sell yourself short, k?

Though, I must admit, I'm dying over here with the idea that you'd have NO vacation time next year.

Happy turkey day, hon.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Ren said...

Someone once told me not to ever, ever place my job in front of my life, because my life is my work... Not my job. You need to do the things you need to do in order to live your life and do what you want to do with it.
But, just like hockey players that pound the crap out of each other at a game, shake hands with the "his majesty" and walk away tall, my friend. No use burning bridges.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

I once said a big f you to a company who'd been abusing me for six long years. And you know what?

IT. FELT. FANTASTIC.

I've never felt one single pang of remorse for how I handled the situation. Like you, I have plenty of good references in my pocket, and they hold a hell of a lot more clout than any of the bums I worked for before.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: be a good sport about it and all, but don't be afraid to tell them just why they suck so badly. Hold your head high, but give them the finger while doing it.

And lots of good luck and well-wishing your way. I've got my fingers crossed for you. :o)

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home